Many people make a “resolution” to get healthy and active in the New Year. But, they don’t know how to start or, more importantly, how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. My 1st suggestion would be to NOT call it a “resolution”. How about simply saying “I’m going to lead a healthy and active lifestyle”. Commit to feeling better physically, mentally and emotionally every day of your life!!
There are many things you can do to help get started and stay committed.
1. Set realistic short term and long term goals. Write these goals down and post them throughout your home and workplace where you can see them throughout the day. Revisit your long term goals on a regular basis as they will most likely change once you start seeing results!
2. Research gyms, recreation centers, personal training studios, etc. either near your home or near work as location (convenience) is very important. Make an appointment with a manager or personal trainer before you sign up for a membership and/or personal training. Making sure the gym you choose is a good fit for you. If the atmosphere is not comfortable, you will be less likely to stay with your workout program.
3. Talk with a dietician or nutritional coach about designing a program or meal plan specific to your goals. If that’s not a feasible option for you, do your own research. There is a great deal of resources available!
4. Download a food log app., or simply write down your food intake as well as your exercise program. Sometimes being accountable, even if just to yourself, will help you to stay on track.
5. Find a friend or partner to enter into this journey with; healthy competition can be very motivating!!
However you choose to begin, taking the 1st step can be the most difficult!! Once you start, take on the mindset that this is not temporary; it simply is the beginning of your new healthy and active lifestyle!
If you want to learn more or find ways to build a stronger commitment to fitness call us at 720-389-9693 or visit our website for Gyms in Lakewood CO